Application Insights Azure portal

So here is the thing. I want to have some analytics on SharePoint online but I don't want to use Google Analytics. I know there is an Office 365 adoption package for PowerBi, been there done that. However I'm missing 1 big feature! That one feature is:

User flow


User Flow Google Analytics


Where do users go when they're on SharePoint? What do they click what pages do they visit? I want to know where the users go in en come out again. Sure with Analytics of Office 365 in the Admin portal or the Adoption package you get a good sense of what is happening in your tenant but you never really know what path they walk. So let's get the grocery shopping list:

  1. Data, we need the data. Where do I find the correct data?
  2. Ok we need a dashboard, PowerBI Desktop should do the trick
  3. We need the Sankey Diagram, that's the diagram Google Analytics also uses
Well part 1 is hard to find, I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right spot but I found Application Insights in the Azure portal. This looks very cool! Some nice features like the Application map and all kinds of reports. Application insights was focused on finding glitches in your app or website, what does go fast what doesn't? So I decided Application Insights should show me some data of what pages are visited, well that's true but it doesn't show the link to the other site or page, well at least I can't find it YET!

Part 2 is of course a no-brainer, PowerBi Desktop will do the trick here! Duh!

Part 3 is pretty cool. The Sankey diagram is a very usefull diagram to show what roads the users has taken to get to their goal. Microsoft released the Sankey Diagram for PowerBi a while back (2015) so I'll hook that up to PowerBi desktop and we're good to go. (PowerBI Sankey)

I asked Microsoft Azure to help me with the data part, I'm not very good in working with queries so maybe they can help me. I'll keep you posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Azure Information Protection (AIP)

Tiles modern UI

Azure Active Directory (AAD)